Sunday, March 3, 2013

Cooking Class

My friends are used to all of my crazy ideas by now so they weren't surprised when I came up with another one. I've been reading through a book called "The Kitchen Counter Cooking School". In the book, a professionally trained chef works with normal everyday home cooks to learn some of the basics of cooking. I love to cook but always feel like I could and should be doing a better job. I thought it would be fun to work through the book with friends and all learn together. Because my friends are awesome and up for just about anything, they said yes!

We started last night and learned chopping skills, how to hold a knife properly, how to choose a good knife and made Penne pasta with a zucchini sauce. We even learned a new way to cook pasta: Add pasta to boiling, salted water. Boil for 1 minute. Turn off heat, cover with a dish towel and the pot lid and let it sit for one minute less than it's cooking time. It came out great!

We also taste-tested different kinds of salt. Most people preferred the Pink Himalayan Salt or the Hot Salt.

I wish I would have gotten a picture of our 6 pounds of zucchini and everyone chopping diligently at their stations. You'll just have to picture it.

We had fun learning and working and eating together. I look forward to our next adventure!












2 comments:

  1. So bummed I missed this one, looks like it was a fun night! Next time for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was fun! I ate way too much but enjoyed making it and hanging out with everyone, even if I did stink of onions when I got home! :)

    ReplyDelete