Saturday, January 29, 2011

Fruits and Vegetables

In an effort to get Avi to eat healthy foods, I frequently look for new and creative ways to incorporate more vegetables into her diet. Fruits aren't a problem as she loves just about all of those, but veggies are a different story! Here are some of the things that I either want to start doing or keep doing beginning in February.

1. Cook snacks and meals from the cookbook "Deceptively Delicious" which incorporates pureed fruits and vegetables into traditional meals.

I would also like to buy Jessica Seinfeld's next book, "Double Delicious" for some new ideas.

2. Continue making fruit and vegetable smoothies and add more variety to them. I found a great mix that I blend with greek yogurt and ice. It's amazingly good and also comes in varieties with vegetables added as well.


3. Buy a "Today I Ate A Rainbow" magnet chart to help Avi get more excited about being healthy. Go to www.todayiatearainbow.com to purchase it.

4.  In the middle of the night, (when I come up with all my good ideas!) I decided that I would try each month or every couple weeks to feature a different vegetable or super food and try different ways of cooking/baking/hiding that food. I think I might start with something like Kale which is highly nutritious. I'd like to try it in smoothies, soups, main dishes and as chips. Here are some of the superfoods I would like to try to incorporate as well:


  • Beans
  • Blueberries
  • Broccoli
  • Oats
  • Oranges
  • Pumpkin
  • Salmon
  • Soy
  • Spinach
  • Tea (green or black)
  • Tomatoes
  • Turkey
  • Walnuts
  • Yogurt

Wish us luck!!







No comments:

Post a Comment