Thursday, September 27, 2012

Book Club

This summer I was so blessed to be part of a book club. I got to know some amazing women and read 2 of the best books I've ever read. They changed me. They changed my relationship with God. They changed the way I look at people and life and my community.

God has been bombarding me with the idea of living in community with others, caring for my community and the people around me and being on mission with Him. So many things keep bringing me back to these ideas and I know He is doing a work in my heart. I'm excited to see what it becomes.

The books we read were "Hinds Feet on High Places" and the sequel to it "Mountains of Spices" both by Hannah Hurnard. They both tied in perfectly with what God had been placing on my heart and gave me so much to think about. I now recommend them to everyone!

I learned that there is nothing more important in this life than glorifying God and loving and serving people. I learned that real love is to give and give and give some more without expecting anything in return. I learned that I was created to be a vessel used to serve people and to continually pour myself out to those who need something. I learned that only Jesus can fill me back up again. Intellectually, I knew most of these things already but they are finally beginning to become a reality in my life. I'm starting to see more clearly what needs to change.

The next books I'm reading to help in this journey that God is taking me on are:

"7" by Jen Hatmaker
"Don't Waste Your Life" by John Piper
"Crazy Love" by Francis Chan
"The Gospel-Driven Life" by Michael Horton

I'm open to more suggestions :)


Anyways, the book club was amazing! On our last day, we had a beautiful tea while talking about what we learned. It was such a blessing!







1 comment:

  1. I am super excited to read these books! I bought and began reading the '7' book but decided it probably wasn't best at the time because I was already leading towards becoming a tad extreme :) But I LOVED (!!) Crazy Love. Like the books you just finished reading, this book was a life changer for me. I'm looking forward to talking about them with you at our next coffee date.

    ReplyDelete